For any project to be successful, good planning is essential. The scoping phase of a project begins at the very start, when clear business rules and objectives are defined. If done well, projects will stay on time and within budget. If not, ‘scope creep’ can occur, where unaccounted requirements lead to extra costs and affect delivery schedules.
One of the great challenges with scoping for web projects is the changing nature of web technologies. At Infinity, our project managers and consultants have a wealth of experience in business analysis and the software development life cycle as it relates to web applications. We think proactively when it comes to change to ensure an agile approach.
The key to the project success is to understand what your client needs and wants.
Steve Jobs had this to say about web design & development projects.
“Design is a funny word. Some people think design means how it “looks”. But of course if you dig deeper, it’s really how it “works”. The design of the Mac wasn’t what it looked like, although that was part of it. To design something really well, you have to “get it”. You have to really “Grok” what it’s all about. It takes a passionate commitment to really thoroughly understand something, chew it, not just quickly swallow it.
Most people don’t take the time to do that.”
The term “Grok” by the way is a real word and not a “Jobian” expression.
It means according to the Oxford English Dictionary
“to understand intuitively or by empathy; to establish rapport with” and “to empathize or communicate sympathetically with.”
“To grok is to share the same reality or line of thinking with another physical or conceptual entity“.
Author Robert A. Heinlein coined the term in his best-selling 1961 book Stranger in a Strange Land. In Heinlein’s view, grokking is the intermingling of intelligence that necessarily affects both the observer and the observed.
This is our aim when it comes to scoping the design and development of your web project as we mingle our intelligence with your business acumen and smart thinking.
Benefits of Scoping Workshop for Enterprise Web Project
- Clearly documenting all business and technical requirements in simple language, from multiple and sometimes independent stakeholders.
- Providing reliable cost-effectiveness and time estimates for the project.
- Through proper scoping provide reliable time estimates for the project.
- Unifying business objectives to provide clear direction for a company-wide project.
- Assisting with budget planning.
- Reduce risk through proper planning
- Ensure that we get on the “same page” as you the client so that we deliver the project outcome you expect. In essence it is about reducing the expectation gap to zero on project delivery outcomes.
- Providing a fixed rather than estimated price
Through a scoping workshop, Infinity has worked with many customers to achieve their business goals. More recently, we have helped the UNSW Faculty of Built Environment to lay the foundations for a state-of-the-art website project and content management system within an allocated budget and timeframe.
Contact us today to find out how your upcoming project can benefit from a scoping workshop.